Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Tour

So I was wrong three times. When Andy Schleck got up and went, I thought: jesus, he's the second coming of Jan Ulrick; always attacking on the wrong mountain. When it became clear that Cadel was going to have to chase alone, I thought: Evans will lose another sixty seconds at least. When I watched A. Schleck stagger through the last km with that goofy, pain-stricken grin of his, I thought: Volkler is going to pop like a soap bubble and have to walk his bike in.

That was one cool stage.

UPDATE:
Thomas Volkler on his win:
“I was focused, that’s all,” he commented. “I had to be attentive to the wind and to the spectators who wanted to touch me. They hit my handlebars. I suffered but I followed the favourites. To keep the yellow jersey was beyond my expectations at Luz-Ardiden, then again at the Plateau de Beille, and now here at the Galibier. I’m not the kind of guy to congratulate myself. I do my job. I give everything. I can’t guarantee anything else to the fans other than the fact that I’m fighting. The suffering is enormous.”
The Immortal Eddy on Andy Schleck:
"It makes the history of cycling to see a rider like Andy Schleck take off from far away like that. It was risky, especially with the headwind, and what he did was the performance of a champion. He honours the grandeur of the Tour de France."

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get home and watch today's stage, I know schleck isn't much of a time trial guy but I seem him holding off evens tomorrow, I wonder if frank can do the same thing.

    Wish volkler was still in it but what a race

    ReplyDelete