Friday, May 18, 2012

One Other Other Thing

I first stumbled on Sterling Hayden in Asphalt Jungle and ran across him in some book or another on naming names. Recently I watched some god awful movie in which he rescues a damsel from Colonel Klink. I got his autobiography from the library and, to be blunt, the man whose acting was all twitches and muttered intimations of unknowable violence, he writes like Kerouac or better yet like Cassady's First Third; his Wandering is work of unusual genius and provides page after page of unexpected pleasure. Plus also even too and in addition , the man was a certified war hero who regretted with every ounce of his being his failure to stand up to the bullying bastards led by the unAmerican nutcase McCarthy. For at least a week he is my hero. 

1 comment:

  1. Well then it must be true and, I bet, an important truth.

    ReplyDelete